Thursday, August 18, 2011

A not so short selection from my summer reading list


                                 
First post ever, it is all very exciting really. I should probably check and make sure nothing terrible happened in history on the day of my first post, but that is to much work. So it seems logical to me for my first blog post to be about what has been on my mind lately, which in this case has been (no surprise) books. A little background. I, being the only 16 year old in the world who doesn't have a license (I know I am wrong but it sure feels like it) has spent a vast amount of my summer at home while my other siblings were being shuttled around to whatever team or class (and there were many) it was the time for. All this quiet time paired with the fact that due to heavy school load last year I wasn't able to read any books of my own choosing resulted in a vast amount of reading this summer ( reading happens to be one of my favorite occupations, isn’t that luck). I think I will tell you about some of the books I have read and what I thought of them.

1. At Home: A short history of privet life by Bill Bryson

This book is ironically the longest book I have ever read for fun in my entire life (and I've read Jane Eyre).

What it is about: This book is basically about how everything we have in our home came to be there, from light bulbs, to beds, and wallpaper.

@ (because stars are so generic): @@@@ out of five. It was completely interesting for a history person like me. It gave me lost of incite I will be able to use for the rest of my life such as, why Yankee Doodle called a feather macaroni, and why Van Gaughs stars were so round and he was so crazy.

Not so good parts: This book gives a tour of this man’s entire house and he points out how just about everything came into that place. I do mean EVERYTHING, hence forth there are some chapters that should be skipped. Here they are: The Bathroom and The Bedroom. I will now give you a short summery of what interesting information is in these rooms so you don't  have to pick out the good from the bad. The Bathroom: Pluming is good. The Bedroom: Beds were not very comfortable bed bugs were a secret issue for a long time, and that one of the greatest fears of the Victorian aria (no help from Poe) was being buried alive (which happened).

In the end: It really is a wonderful book which I would highly suggest reading. I also temporarily obtained an audio version of the book, which was helpful although it was read by the author who can sometimes be hard to understand.

                                                                                                 2. Stepping Heavenward: One woman’s journey to Godliness by Mrs. E. Prentiss

pg #. 341

What it is about: A young lady from age 14(ish) until death, and all the spiritual struggles she encounters.

@: @@@ out of five. The whole book is completely relatable, and you grow to feel her pain, sorrow and joy.

Not so good parts: It is written in diary form and that can get a little annoying, she isn’t always as clear on the parts you wish she would be clear on, such as her children’s names.


3.House Rules by Jodi Picoult

pg # 532

What its about: A 18 year old boy with Aspergers syndrome and a obsession with Crime Busters. His therapist is murdered and he soon becomes a suspect, but his disabilities make him often seem guilty, yet he his therapist was his only friend in life. Did he commit the murder and should he be given exceptions in the court room because of his disabilities.

@ angela scale: @@@@ out of five. This book mixes relatable characters with real life problems (the aspergers not the murder) and a chilling twisting plot that keep you reading long past bed time.

Not so good parts: Jodi Picoult is a well know atheists and it seeps through in small parts of her book. The divorced mom spends the night at their lawyers (who the whole family has grown close to) apartment.

Over all: Now I’m a sucker for a medical/investigative drama. I also am fan of this author before this book so I am a little bias, but I truly enjoyed this book and I think it is a great read for grown up-ish audiences.


4.Till We Have Faces: A myth retold by C.S. Lewis

pg # 309

What it is about: The love story of Cupid and Psyche told from the view point of Psyches ugly uber-overprotective sister.

@ scale: @ out of five. First off, I started this book at 1 in the morning after finished House Rules minuets earlier. I had "mental whiplash" as my little sister calls it. This book is a Greek myth henceforth it has lots of random magical acts to keep you on your toes.

Not so great parts: Where do I start, first of all there is lots of references to rooms and unless you already have a understand of Greek architecture (which I assure you I don’t) it’s quiet confusing. Also there is lots of references to the gods and temples and such which aren’t really explained. There is language, abuse, and "High class working girls" as a choreographer on SYTYCD puts it. And (man I hate starting a sentence with and) to rap it all up the writing style isn’t really that enjoyable. The plot doesn’t carry enough to make you want to keep reading it. C.S. Lewis you have disappointed me.

On that happy note, there are a few of the books I have read this summer (I’m on my 9th) I would think I shall try and post on the rest of them at a later date.

Thank you for reading my very first blog post, I hope you enjoyed it. They won’t all be so critical often and I hope to make to make it more interesting. Comment or email me, I would love to hear how I can make it better, also please link me to your blogs. I love getting connected to people, and I think blogs are a great way to do that. I shall end with a quote, because I feel that is a wonderful way to end a long rambly post.

"Be pretty if you can, be witty if you must, but be gracious if it kills you." ~ Elsie De Wolf

Have a wonderful book filled day. <3 Quippy.


2 comments:

  1. Enjoyable post by a *gracious* person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blog, the sidenotes, the reviews, and, most of all, Quippy - one of the nicest people I know!

    ReplyDelete